Coffee Please!


It was a momentous day. It was a day of joy, a day of discovery. A day of confusion, a day of hunger, and a day of satisfaction. It was my first day of work. I made it, and now I lie naked on my bed, unable to move. No, there are no photos. You wouldn't want to see them anyway. Believe me.

I didn't really know what to expect with this job, except in general terms, but I'm here to tell you that I really think I'm going to like it.

Heck, I get to talk to people on the phone all day long! And get paid for it! You can't beat that, unless it includes boxes of bon bons, an endless dribble of mojitos slowly trickling down my throat in-between calls, Patrick Dempsey massaging my feet, and a Cirque de Soleil performance outside my window. I'm going to work on it as soon as I'm a little more established.

All in all, this job is going to be more challenging than I thought, and that's a good thing. I wanted something that wasn't borrrring and would have me drooling on my keyboard by 10 a.m., but something that had a direct, visible end result, made me think, solve problems, and offer me challenges on a daily basis. What I love is that there doesn't seem to be a dull moment, but at the end of the day, you get to leave it all behind, go home, and forget about it all until the next day.

In a nutshell, my job will be comprised of linking people with the care they need, allowing them to stay at home and remain independent as long as possible. Sounds easy, but there are all sorts of things that can throw a wrench into things: a caregiver breaks a scapula, or a client decides to go visit her long-lost second cousin twice removed and forfeit her weekly bath, or a client only speaks French, and there is absolutely no one who can fill the schedule and be understood by this client. It's a dangerous world out there, folks. And I'm going to save it, one phone call at a time.

I left the office yesterday entirely confused, more so than usual, although I have to say that by three-quarters of the way through the day, I was actually getting the hang of a couple of things. Which isn't to say that, come today, I'll be any more ahead than I was. In fact, I'll probably be behind, because I had to go in this morning for 7 a.m., which means I had to get up at 5:45 a.m., which just makes me sob writing this. Who does this? Cattle ranchers and surgeons, that's who. I just hope they don't mind me looking like a hot bag of shit today, because that will most definitely be me.


If you don't hear from me for the rest of this week, you'll know why. I'll either be at work, or at the Starbucks four minutes away from the office, my head buried in a Venti Triple Espresso Double Mocha Bean.

Comments

ShanaM said…
Naked on the bed after work? Was anyone home? Did you care?

Good luck with the job!!!!!
I think you are ahead of the game already in that you actually HAVE a job. Not so easy to come by these days! Have a great day at work!
Anonymous said…
That actually does sound like an interesting job. Glad it provides some stimulation for you rather than having you "drooling on your keyboard by 10AM" - LOL

You know what they say, if you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life.

The Old Silly from Free Spirit Blog
Anonymous said…
That DOES sound like an interesting job. Glad you find it stimulating and it doesn't have you "drooling on your keyboard by 10AM" - lol

You know what they say - if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life.

The Old Silly from Free Spirit Blog
Sherry said…
Glad it went well...doesn't sound like there is going to be much room for "boredom" with this position...and if you can get Patrick Dempsey massaging your feet while you're making all those calls...bonus!!
Trina said…
Yea for a good first day! First days (and sometimes first weeks) can be overwhelming, but each day will be better. And you will be fantastic at your job.

My MIL has Alzheimer's. We would LOVE to find a person who could stay with her to make sure she eats, takes her meds, etc. Family members are there as much as possible, but none of us can do the job 24/7. It is SO hard to find someone who will be there and who will do a good job. Even if you do find someone, it is expensive!

It won't be long before she HAS to be moved into an assisted living facility, and that kills all of us. But she cannot live independently any longer.

Pop in when you can, but we'll understand if you are exhausted and don't.
Sounds like a great job!
I've worked retail management for so long, I don't think I could do anything else.
You'll be great at this. They are lucky to have you. If they don't realize it after the first day, I'm sure you will point it out to them on the 2nd!!!
Make it a GREAT day Mary~
♥,Lilly
Pleased all went well on your first day back to work....it can be very daunting. I applaud you for getting up at 5.45am and writing a blog, but it is much appreciated. Good luck.

Yvonne.
Momisodes said…
5:45am? Yikes. It's just not humane to be up at that hour. I'm glad to hear you made it through your first day! Even better that Starcrack is so close to work :)
Crazy Mo said…
I'm so happy for you. It's not often that you find a job that you love to do. Oh, sure, you can find one that you can live with, but to actually enjoy what you do and feel rewarded at the end of the day ... that's a gift, my friend.
Matt Pfingsten said…
It was all sounding terrific until the 5:45 part. Oh well, you'll get used to it I suppose. Now I have to go get Starbucks.
Unknown said…
Hey, congrats on the new job. Every new job always sort of feels like the first day of school, doesn't it? Where's that little bit overwhelming, and you try to be a little guarded about your feelings of it... but with guarded OPTIMISM.

I hope it turns out well.

Let me know when the Cirque arrives. I love those guys!
Michel said…
did you get my comment?? It was insightful and inspiring... or it might have been snotty. I can't recall.

ANyway, good luck on the new job. I hate learning new stuff!

I'm having internet problems...so I'll comment all damn night if I have to!! You might want to post one!!!
anymommy said…
Whew - best of luck, new jobs are hard, but those venti coffees will get you through.
mo.stoneskin said…
Hope things improve quickly, but if they don't you must treat yourself. That's the rule I use. Any time anything is difficult...
Mmmmmmm Starbucks...iced nonfat latte with cinnamon...lemon poppy seed muffin...

Oops, um, good luck and congrats!
Sounds like you have had a great start to your new job!
Sultan said…
Deep disapointment. All good posts need photos.
lisahgolden said…
That sounds very good to me. Not boring. Helping people. And getting to leave it behind when you're done.

Keep up posted on those other amenities as you get management to agree to them!
Anonymous said…
Oh yes, caffeine caffeine caffeine. When I went back to work caffeine was my savior.

Popular posts from this blog

Gobble Gobble!

Just call me a dwarf

Gourmet Anyone?