Paying It Forward
Today's post is a tad out of the ordinary for me. And by that I mean there will be no mention of projectile vomiting, penile implants, anti-zombie guinea pigs, or Joanna, my BFF from the Czech Republic.
No, my friends, today's post is in the interests of helping out a fellow human being, namely a 4th year honours student who is currently working on her honours research paper. She asked me a while back if I would help her out by posting some pertinent questions to my readers in the hopes of getting some answers to questions surrounding the theme of what the possible impact there is on children's leisure participation if both parents are working.
So, basically, your answers will make or break this poor student's year. You don't really have a choice now but to answer them, do you. You're welcome.
Just post your answers to each question in the comments section, and I'll forward them on. And thanks very much for helping out! Look at it as paying it forward, or as staving off a most certain vodka and cranberry binge.
- Approximately how many hours do you work per week in a paid position? In your household, what is the total number of paid work week hours of the primary caregivers (i.e., 2 parents as primary caregivers; single parent in the household as primary caregiver)?
- How many hours of leisure time do you have during the week? For example, based on Statistics Canada 2006 data, the national average for adults is approximately 5 hours per day.
- How many children do you have 2 years old and younger? Aged 3 to 5? Over 5 years old?
- How many of your children participate in organized sports; competitive or recreational?
- If they do not currently participate in sport, could you list some of the reasons why?
- Do you feel there is a link between parents' work week hours, their amount of leisure time, and children's participation in organized sports?
- This information will be used in an undergraduate student research assignment; do you give permission for the student researcher to use some of your answers as examples, if applicable? Anonymity is assured.